Do you have thinning eyelashes? Or maybe your eyelashes have become dry and brittle? If so, don’t worry – you’re not alone.
Many women experience thinning lashes as they get older. Several treatments are available to help thicken lashes and improve their appearance. Thank the Good Lord above!
In this blog post, I will be sharing the best treatments for thinning eyelashes and how to achieve the best results.
This article may include affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
Many find that their eyelashes thin out and become less voluminous as women get older.
This can be frustrating, especially for those who rely on our eyelashes for definition and a youthful appearance.
What causes thinning eyelashes?
Here is a list of some of the common causes of thinning, dry and brittle eyelashes:
- Aging– Aging is the most common cause of lashes loss seen in men and women of advanced age.
- Hormonal imbalance– An imbalance in thyroid hormone can result in lost hair in the body, including eyelashes and brows.
- Chemotherapy– Patients on chemotherapy may also experience hair loss o including losing their eyelashes.
- Makeup– Some eye makeup, such as waterproof mascara, can cause eyelashes to become dry and brittle.
- Menopause and Thyroid issues- Menopause and thyroid problems can cause thinning eyelashes and brows.
- Bad skin care habits– Not removing makeup at night or using eyelash curlers can cause thinning eyelashes.
- Allergies– Seasonal allergies can cause eyes to be itchy. Rubbing eyes can cause eyelash loss.
- Eyelash extensions– Eyelash extensions are all the rage but can cause loss of natural eyelashes.
- Reaction to certain medications
Some medications can lead to the loss of eyelashes or eyebrows, including:
- Botox! (oh no!)
Why do eyelashes thin as we age?
One possible cause of thinning eyelashes as women age is the natural aging process.
As we age, our bodies produce less and less collagen, which is one of the main components of healthy skin and hair.
Without adequate collagen in our bodies, our hair follicles shrink and become thinner over time. Another factor affecting eyelash growth as we age a common fact that skin starts to get a little dryer, which can cause eyelashes to lose the ability to retain moisture
Changes in our bodies cause a drop in certain hormones, which may slow or even halt the production of eyelashes.
Thinning eyelashes and menopause
Another possible cause of thinning eyelashes is menopause.
During menopause, our bodies undergo many changes, including decreased estrogen production.
Estrogen plays a vital role in keeping our hair and skin healthy, so when levels start to decline, It’s not surprising that we might begin to see changes in our appearance.
Furthermore, during and after menopause, diffuse hair loss on the scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes is common.
The loss of estrogen stunts hair growth and can destroy hair follicles, leading to thinner, wispier hairs and lashes.
As if menopause isn’t fun enough!?
Treatments for thinning eyelashes
There are several treatments available to help address the issue of thinning eyelashes.
The most common approach is to apply treatments or growth serums directly to the eyelashes, usually in serums containing compounds like peptides and nutrients that can promote growth and strength.
Dietary supplements, such as biotin and omega-3 fatty acids, can help nourish hair follicles and promote healthy lash growth.
Is there a medication for thinning eyelashes?
Yes. The medication bimatoprost is marketed under the brand name Latisse.
Latisse is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat inadequate eyelashes (hypotrichosis). Latisse requires a prescription.
Bimatoprost is used in prescription eye drops to treat glaucoma. The eyelash growth was an unexpected side effect of Lumigan, which led to the creation and marketing of Latisse.
Latisse gradually encourages the growth of longer, thicker, darker eyelashes with regular applications along the upper eyelid lash line.
Latisse isn’t meant to be applied to the lower eyelid. You must use the medication daily for at least two months for full results. Eyelash improvements remain as long as you continue to use the medicine.
When you stop using Latisse, your eyelashes will eventually return to their original appearance.
Visit Latisse.com for more information.
Potential side effects of Latisse include:
- Redness of the thin tissue over the white part of the eye (conjunctiva)
- Itchy, red eyes
- Dry eyes
- Darkened eyelids
- Darkened brown pigmentation in the colored part of the eye (iris)
- Hair growth around the eyes if the medication regularly runs or drips off the eyelids
What are eyelash serums?
Eyelash growth serums promote lash growth and help lashes look thicker and fuller.
Eyelash serums typically contain ingredients like biotin, keratin, and peptides, which can all help encourage lash growth.
What brands of eyelash serum is the best?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different women will have other preferences for eyelash serums.
Therefore, I will list four of the most popular eyelash-enhancing serums with the highest customer overall reviews below.
RapidLash Eyelash Enhancing Serum
RapidLash Eyelash Enhancing Serum is a lash conditioning, moisturizing, and strengthening formula that synergistically works to help improve the overall appearance of eyelashes in as little as eight weeks!
- RapidLash is a unique blend of ingredients that conditions and fortifies lash hair.
- It helps promote the appearance of fuller, thicker, stronger, and longer-looking lashes.
- RapidLash can be used with lash extensions
- Ideal for women and men
- RapidLash is formulated with Hexatein 1 Complex specifically designed to condition, moisturize and fortify lashes.
- Polypeptides, comprised of beneficial amino acids, help protect against breakage.
- Biotin (Pro-vitamin B7 / Vitamin H), an essential factor in maintaining healthier-looking, youthful lashes
- Panthenol (Vitamin B5) helps coat the lashes and brows and seal in moisture and nourishment for an improved overall appearance of lashes.
- Amino Acids help boost the protein structure, resulting in a healthier-looking appearance of lashes.
- Soybean Oil, rich in vitamins, helps impart sheen and luster to lashes and brows, making them appear lush and beautiful.
- Pumpkin Seed Extract, high in vitamins and minerals, helps balance and enhance the appearance of lashes.
Features of Grande LASH-MD
- Award-winning lash-enhancing serum
- It is infused with a blend of vitamins, peptides, and amino acids to promote the appearance of naturally longer, thicker-looking lashes in 4-6 weeks, with complete improvement in 3 months.
- A favorite for helping to enhance short, thinning, or brittle lashes.
- It helps to promote the appearance of naturally longer, thicker-looking lashes
- Suitable for contacts and lash extensions
- 97% saw more visible lashes
- 94% saw healthier-looking lashes
- 91% saw longer-looking lashes
- *Based on a 12-week consumer study with 30 subjects. Results will vary.
Benefits of GrandLASH-MD
- Suitable for contacts and lash extensions
- Amino Acids (L-Proline): an amino acid essential to healthy, fortified lashes.
- Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate): conditions and protects to prevent breakage and brings hydration to dry, brittle, or damaged lashes.
- Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate): an essential vitamin to support lash health.
- Botanical Extract Blend: a powerful combination of nutrient and antioxidant-rich compounds derived from natural sources (ginseng root, chamomile flowers, and bearberry leaves); strengthens the lash follicle.
- Glycosaminoglycans: Locks in moisture and boosts lash resiliency and luster.
Revita Lash is an award-winning serum. Revita Lash comes with proprietary, scientifically advanced technology to strengthen lashes and protect against breakage while improving flexibility and shine, resulting in dramatic-looking eyelashes.
Revita Lash Highlights
- Safe for use with eyelash extensions
- Physician Developed
- Ophthalmologist Reviewed
- Dermatologist reviewed
- Clinically tested
- Hypoallergenic and Non-irritating
- Vegan friendly and Cruelty-free
- It does not contain Parabens, Phthalates, Fragrances, or Gluten.
- Made in the U.S.A.
The proprietary technology found in our category-leading eyelash conditioner, RevitaLash® Advanced, has been patented in the United States for its Curl Effect®. Discover the beauty of your natural lashes.
Beauty Platinum Long Lash Serum
Beauty platinum long lash serum by Dr. Lara Devgan Scientific is considered a cult favorite in the beauty industry.
Beauty platinum long lash serum is clinically shown to extend the eyelash life cycle and support growth for visibly longer, denser lashes.
- Vitamin B5: Supports more-rapid hair growth.
- Phyto Peptides: Stimulate visible growth at the follicle.
- Clover Flower Extract: Supports a strong hair follicle structure.
Key Ingredients: Free of parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, sulfates SLS & SLES, triclocarban, triclosan, and contains less than one percent synthetic fragrance.
This serum is vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.
The LashFood Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhancer is a natural nightly-use lash serum for longer, thicker, stronger-looking lashes.
Benefits of Lash Food
- Proven to promote the appearance of longer, thicker, stronger lashes
- Phyto-Medic Complex nourishes lashes at the follicle
- Initial results can be seen in 4 weeks, full results in 16 weeks
- Suitable for use with contact and lash extensions
- Ecocert Certified
- Dermatologist Tested
- 4-month supply
Lash Food has no:
Related article: Benefits of Botox (Based on my personal experience)
Which serum is right for you?
To figure out which brand of eyelash serum for thinning eyelashes is the best choice for you, I suggest doing further research on each of these serums and being sure to read the reviews.
Regardless of which brand you choose, remember to be patient and consistent – it may take some time before you start to see results with your eyelash serum.
DIY Eyelash growth serum
Several recipes are available online if you’re interested in making your eyelash serum.
DIY Eyelash growth recipe:
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon castor oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
Mix all ingredients and apply them to your lashes with a clean mascara brush. Apply the serum once or twice a day for several weeks to improve.
If you consider making your own eyelash serum at home, these are great little empty bottles/ and applicators for your DIY serums.
Castor Oil for Lashes
Castor oil is an age-old beauty secret!
Many beauty experts shout the praises of using castor oil for hair growth!
The best time to treat your eyelashes or eyebrows is before bed.
Just a small dip on your lash line or eyebrow in the lash growth serum could leave your eyelashes and eyebrows looking healthier than ever!
Coconut oil for lashes
Coconut oil is another natural substance that can help improve your lash health and appearance.
To use coconut oil for your lashes, apply a small amount to your lashes each night before bed. You can also add a few drops of coconut oil to your favorite eye cream or serum for even better results.
Supplements and vitamins for hair growth
If you’re looking for a way to thicken and strengthen your lashes from the inside out, consider taking a supplement that promotes hair growth.
Some of the best vitamins for hair growth include:
One popular supplement is biotin, which is often promoted as a way to improve hair health. Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin necessary for the metabolism of fats and proteins.
It is also involved in the production of keratin, the hair’s main structural protein.
While biotin supplements are generally considered safe, you must speak with your doctor before starting any new supplement regimen.
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that plays a role in many bodily functions, including wound healing and collagen production.
Vitamin C is thought to promote hair growth by increasing collagen production. One small study found that vitamin C supplements can promote hair growth in women with thinning hair.
However, more research is needed to confirm these results. (source)
Collagen for hair, skin, and nails
Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body. Taking collagen may increase the strength of your nails by preventing brittleness. Additionally, it may help hair and nails grow longer and stronger.
Collagen is the main component of connective tissues that comprise several body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin, and muscles.
There are a ton of beauty and health benefits of collagen.
The benefits of collagen + Collagen Peptides:
- Improves skin and hair
- Helps joints
- Boosts Metabolism, Muscle, and Energy Output
- Strengthens teeth and nails
- Can reduce cellulite and stretch marks
- Reduces leaky gut symptoms
All that said, I take collagen peptides instead of collagen because it’s easier on my stomach.
I believe collagen has dramatically improved my joint health, skin, hair, and nails!
Fish Oil for hair growth
Fish Oil is rich in different fatty acid species and has been used extensively in animal and human studies to evaluate the effects on skin and hair health.
Omega-3 fats nourish the hair, support hair thickening, and reduce inflammation that can lead to hair loss, which is why fish oil benefits hair and is one of the top six vitamins for hair growth. (source)
Related article: Best supplements for women over 50
Each of these supplements and vitamins helps improve the health and appearance of hair, making them an excellent option for enhancing your lashes.
If you’re tired of dealing with thin, weak lashes, try adding one or more of these supplements or vitamins to your daily routine.
Your lashes will thank you!
Thinning eyelashes and eyelash treatments help!
Do you have thinning eyelashes as I do? Are you considering trying one of these eyelash treatments that I mentioned?
Have you already tried any of these eyelash growth serums and treatments?
Let me know in the comments below how they worked for you. I would love to hear about your experiences!
Until next time!