In this article, the best eye primer for mature skin, I will tackle all things eye primers and eyeshadow primers for mature skin to help you find the right eye primer that will work the best for your needs.
Sound good?! Alright! Let’s get started.
You may be thinking, do I need an Eye Primer?
You may be thinking, do I really need eyelid primer? Is it really necessary to prime my eyes? I mean, I’ve already got so many makeup products!
I hear you! That’s what I thought when I first heard about eyeshadow primer.
I was having my makeup done by a pro for a wedding and that’s when I learned the importance of using a good eyeprimer.
And the rest as the say, is history! Now?! I’m a big believer in priming my eyes!
First things first-let’s go over what eye primer is and what the heck it does.
What is Eye Primer?
Eyeshadow primer is a makeup product applied on the eyelids before eyeshadow and eyeliner.
It creates a smooth canvas allowing eyeshadow and eyeliner to go on smoother and last longer.
In addition, many eyeshadow primers come in different hues, enhancing and brightening eye makeup, making them look even brighter.
I like to wear eye primer alone on no makeup makeup days.
Benefits of using Eye Primer:
- Boosts the pigment and longevity of eyeshadow.
- Creates a smooth canvas for eyeshadow.
- It helps eyeshadow go on more evenly.
- It helps with creepy eyelids and prevents eyeshadow creasing
- Shields skin’s natural oils from disturbing eyeshadow.
- Conceals eyelid discoloration such as veins.
This article may include affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
How to Apply Eye Primer:
Step 1: Do your normal skincare routine. Make sure you cleanse the eye area with a gentle cleanser to remove any excess oil on the skin.
Step 2: Use your ring finger or a small concealer brush to apply a small amount of eye primer to your entire eye area.
Step 3: Using a small liner brush, apply eye primer under your bottom lash line to help eyeliner or eyeshadow stay in plane and last all day.
Step 4: Once your primer is applied-apply, eyeshadow, and eyeliner.
MAC’s Pro Long Wear Paint Pot
I have used MAC Pro long-wear Paint Pot for years and years! It’s a staple in my makeup bag!
This yummy eye primer for mature skin has a nice creamy base that allows eye shadow to be easily applied and stays in place all day long without fading or creasing!
I often wear the painterly shade alone and love how it conceals flaws and brightens my eyelids.
This little jar lasts forever and will quickly become your go-to eye primer for aging skin.
What I like most about MAC’s Pro Longwear Paint Pot:
- I love the shades painterly and ochre.
- Nice-sized jar (lasts forever)
- Extends the wear eyeshadow
- It can be worn alone or under eyeshadow.
- Long-wearing and water resistant!
- Doesn’t crease!
- Ophthalmologist-tested (easy on my sensitive eyes)
*I always apply my face and eye cream before I apply my makeup so this primer works great on me. But! I have heard through the grapevine that it can be drying. I would not recommend this primer if you have very dry skin.
Urban Decay Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer Potion
I’m a big fan of Urban Decay and have used their Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion for years.
I recently switched to the anti-aging primer formula, and I gotta say, it’s awesome!
This eye primer helps smooth the look of wrinkles, plumps, and firms & hydrates my lids while offering crease-free eyeshadow looks that last up to 24 hours!
Because of its natural shade, you can wear it alone for a natural look which I love!
What I like most about Urban Decay Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer Potion:
- Anti-aging ingredients help to minimize the appearance of wrinkles
- No creasing or cracking, even on oily lids.
- It contains optical blurring pigments for improving skin texture.
- I love its creamy, moisturizing quality.
- It can be used alone to even out the lid color.
- Paraben-free + Cruelty-free
Clinique Touch Base For Eyes Eyeshadow Primer
OK! This is another eyeshadow primer that I’ve used off and on for years and years.
Clinique’s touch base for eyes is another eye primer that serves double duty as both a primer and a shadow.
It’s got a long-wearing creamy formula that doesn’t fade or crease!
Touch base is dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, doesn’t contain parabens or phthalates, and is fragrance-free!
What I like Best About Clinique Touch Base:
- I love Clinique! Huge fan.
- Touch base serves double duty as a primer and a shadow.
- It’s gentle on my eyes
- I love the little compact w/mirror!
- The price is right at $21
BareMinerals Prime Time Eye Primer
BareMinerals PRIME TIME Eyelid Primer is a nice sheer formula that creates a smooth, silky foundation for eyeshadow and eyeliner.
Formulated with nourishing antioxidants to help smooth the look of fine lines and does an excellent job combating creasing!
I love that it absorbs excess oil, making it a great choice for summer or humid climates.
BareMinerals Prime time eye primer is also gentle on my eyes and is safe for contact wearers.
purchase on amazon >
What I like most about BareMinerals Prime Time Eye Primer:
- It provides awesome staying power!
- Ophthalmologist-tested and safe for contact lens wearers.
- A great eyeshadow primer for oily eyelids!
Laura Mercier Eye Basics Primer
I’ve been a Laura Mercier fan since back in the day!
I like this primer because it’s water-resistant and crease-proof!
It does a great job camouflaging imperfections and discolorations while enhancing eye makeup’s durability.
Its sheer, creamy texture blends easily and smoothly, leaving a long-lasting, semi-matte finish.
You can use it as an eyelid primer or alone to color correct and cover imperfections.
What I like most about Laura Mercier Eye Basics Primer:
- I love the sheer, matte finish
- It’s waterproof and crease-proof!
- It’s got skin-friendly ingredients (Vitamins A, E, and C)
- It lasts all day!
- I love, love, love the applicator.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Eye Primer
Mini Eye Primer by Anastasia Beverly Hills is a travel-size eye primer.
It is a light-colored base that creates the perfect canvas shadows or can be worn alone.
I like that it’s waterproof and is very long wearing. I once fell asleep without taking off my makeup, and my eyeshadow was still in place in the morning!
What I like most about Anastasia Beverly Hills eye primer:
- Great travel size!
- A little goes a very long way!
- *It’s very “grippy,” so you need to let it dry!
- Amazing lasting power!
Shadow Insurance 24-Hour Eyeshadow Primer
Too Faced’s Shadow Insurance 24-Hour Eye Shadow Primer formula intensifies eyeshadow color and locks it down for 24+hours!
This water-proof, non-creasing, fade-resistant wear is a great eye primer choice for GLAM MAKEUP and special events.
This primer helps protect against blue light damage and fights breakthrough oil to keep shadows lasting as long as you do!
What I like most about TOO FACED Shadow Insurance 24-Hour Eyeshadow Primer:
- Perfect for special events and GLAM makeup.
- Its waterproof formula gives shadow-lasting power.
- I love the doe foot applicator!
- A little bit goes a long way!
A Few More Noteworthy Eye Primers for Aging Skin:
I have not personally tried the following eye primers for mature skin, but they come highly recommended by my fellow beauty gurus, so I thought I would include them so you can take a look-see. 🙂
More Eye Primers for Mature Skin:
- Milani Eyeshadow Primer– Milani is super popular in the beauty community. So much so that at the writing of this article, it was sold out everywhere, so I could not try it for myself.
- COVERGIRL Lid Lock Up Eyeshadow Primer– This product is a great value and has excellent reviews on Amazon, Sephora, and Ulta. It’s also an amazing value at just over $7.
- Benefit Stay Don’t Stray Eyeshadow Primer– I have heard good things about this eye shadow primer but haven’t tried it myself. I love several of the Benefit products, so I would say it’s worth a try.
- Elizabeth Mott – Thank Me Later Eye Primer– Thank me later eye primer is another eyeshadow primer that is getting some buzz. I plan on trying it soon.
The Best Eyeshadow Primer for Mature Skin
Ok! That’s all for now, but I will update this article every time I test and try a new eye primer for mature and aging skin.
For now, I am confident that you will love any one of these eye primers for aging skin.
Do you currently use an eye primer as part of your makeup routine? If so, what eye primer do you use?
If you are looking for a new eyelid primer, which one do you think you will choose?
Let me know in the comments below.
Until next time,
SHOP THE POST
your shortcode here