In this article, I will share the facts on the best moisturizers for mature skin over 60, 70, and beyond.
We all know that moisturizing your skin is important because it keeps your complexion looking fresh and youthful.
But which type of moisturizer works best on mature and aging skin?
Read on to learn about the different types of moisturizers that are the best for mature skin, how to choose the right one for your needs, and why you should always use sunscreen!
This article may include affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
The Best Moisturizers for Mature Skin Over 60+
First, let’s address the signs of aging skin:
Our skin changes with age. The first signs of aging are usually fine lines and wrinkles, dull skin, age spots, and more.
Here is a quick rundown on the signs of aging skin:
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Slow skin cell production, thinning skin layers, and a lack of collagen proteins cause wrinkles to form on your skin.
- Dull Skin: cells take longer to renew. Dead skin cells accumulate on the skin surface, clogging pores and naturally preventing skin from moisturizing. The result is dull-looking skin.
- Dry Skin: As skin ages, fewer natural oils cause dry skin, sun damage, and decreased cell renewal, leading to dry, rougher skin. Loss of hormones can also lead to drier skin. (source)
- Age Spots: Age spots are caused by overactive pigment cells. The sun also speeds up the production of melanin, a natural pigment that gives skin its color. (source)
- Crepey Skin–
- Loss of volume and sagging: Loss of volume is caused by collagen loss, overexposure to the sun, hormone changes, and gravity.
When choosing the best face moisturizers for mature skin over 60, for the best results, it’s important to consider your skin type and concerns and to be on the lookout for these skincare ingredients.
Look for these key ingredients when shopping for the best moisturizers for mature skin:
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a humectant, a moisturizing agent that pulls water into the outer layer of your skin from deeper levels and the air.
- Hyaluronic acid: When applied to the skin’s surface, hyaluronic acid serums can reduce wrinkles, redness, and dermatitis.
- Ceramides: Ceramides are an important ingredient.
Ceramides create a skin barrier that helps prevent moisture loss — keeping skin hydrated, plump, and supple. The barrier protects the skin from harmful irritants, bacteria, and other environmental toxins.
- Lipids: Lipids are essential fatty acids that act as a protective barrier, prevent sun damage, promote moisture retention, and aid skin healing.
- Vitamin A / Retinoids: Retinol increases skin cell production (proliferation). It helps unclog pores. Retinol also exfoliates your skin and increases collagen production, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and giving your skin a fresher, plump appearance. (source)
- Vitamin B3 / Niacinamide: Vitamin B or Niacinamide boosts moisture, improves skin tone, fades dark spots, and can reduce the appearance of large pores.
- Vitamin C: Topical vitamin C helps slow early skin aging, prevent sun damage, and improve the appearance of wrinkles, dark spots, and acne. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to neutralize free radicals and protect against oxidative stress.(source)
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E works as an anti-inflammatory agent on the skin.
- Glycolic acid: Glycolic acid works to exfoliate the skin, speed up cell turnover, and boost collagen production. Glycolic acid helps to clear pores, smooth fine wrinkles, improve skin tone, fade dark patches and sun damage, and hydrate skin for a more youthful appearance. (source)
- Salicylic acid: Salicylic acid helps to exfoliate dead skin cells, which helps with the appearance of fine lines. And it promotes collagen growth, which can improve the skin’s elasticity. Salicylic acid is also used to treat acne-prone skin and oily skin types.
- Alpha hydroxy acids: Alpha-hydroxy acids or AHAs may help to improve skin texture, fade dark spots, and reduce the visible signs of aging.
- Lactic acid: It increases cell turnover and helps eliminate accumulated dead skin cells on the epidermis or the top layer of the skin. The skin gets firmer and thicker when using lactic acid at 12% concentration. As a result, there is overall smooth skin, fewer fine lines, and deep wrinkles.
- Amino Acids: maintain the skin’s hydration, resilience, and overall healthy appearance. They protect the skin from free radical damage and environmental factors and reduce signs of aging.
- Sun Protection: Look for a moisturizer containing SPF if you are not applying sunscreen after the moisturizer.
Best Moisturizers for Mature Skin over 60, 70, and beyond!
I am excited to share my top picks for the best moisturizers for women over 60 with mature skin!
In addition to sharing what I feel are the best moisturizers for aging skin, I have included noteworthy alternatives for each product to give you more options if needed.
CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Moisturizing Cream
This is one of my all-time best moisturizers for aging skin!
CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream contains hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and ceramides to hydrate, calm, and restore the skin barrier. (source)
This moisturizer also contains peptides to help improve the appearance of fatigued skin.
CeraVe Skin renewing night cream helps hydrate, soften and renew the look of tired skin overnight!
Final Review: CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream
- My Dermatologist recommended this night cream!
- I love the creamy texture of this product. Not greasy.
- It’s loaded with key-anti-aging ingredients.
- I love that it’s affordable! Because money doesn’t grow on trees! 🙂
More Noteworthy CeraVe Moisturizers for Mature Skin:
- CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
- CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Cerave moisturizing cream
- CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream (contains Retinol)
- CeraVe Anti Aging Retinol Serum
Shop CeraVe Moisturizers for Over 60
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid
This yummy gel moisturizer provides hydration to the skin, leaving it looking smooth and supple.
This daily face moisturizer contains hyaluronic acid, is non-comedogenic, oil-free, and dermatologist-recommended.
Hydro boost face moisturizer absorbs quickly like a gel, so you can wear it under makeup, but it provides long-lasting moisture like a cream.
Best Gel Moisturizer for Mature Skin:
- The lightweight, oil-free formula is perfect for combination or oily skin
- It contains hyaluronic acid, which is always a plus!
- It works great under makeup! Kind of like a primer.
- I recommend this as a Daytime moisturizer for mature skin.
Noteworthy Gel Moisturizers for Mature Skin:
Here is a list of wonderful oil-free gel moisturizers for mature skin.
- Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel By Clinique
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Matte Face Moisturizer
- Paula’s Choice SKIN BALANCING Invisible Finish Gel Moisturizer
- Olay Regenerist Hyaluronic Acid + Peptide 24 Gel Face Moisturizer
SkinCeuticals’s Triple Lipid Restore + Repair Cream
As we age, our skin loses moisture, leading to fine lines, wrinkles, and even sagging of the skin.
Thanks to this antioxidant and ceramide-rich formula, SkinCeuticals’s Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 replenishes lost hydration.
This face cream is fast-absorbing and leaves skin feeling supple with a healthy glow.
Review of SkinCeuticals’s Triple Lipid Restore + Repair Cream
- I love this face cream for mature skin!
- It absorbs into my skin and plumps it up.
- Hydrates like magic!
- This product is amazing, but it’s expensive (see dupes below) 🙂
Alternatives: SkinCeuticals’s Triple Lipid Restore + Repair Cream Dupes
- Skin Fix Skinfix Barrier Triple Lipid-Peptide Cream
- Phykology Guardian Cream : Triple Lipid Formula
- Paula’s Choice MOISTURE BOOST Hydrating Treatment Cream
- Cerave Skin Renewing Night Cream
Roc Retinol Correxion Max Daily Hydration Anti-Aging Cream
Roc Retinol Correxion cream is an intensive anti-wrinkle treatment formulated with retinol and hydrating hyaluronic acid.
It deeply moisturizes the skin for up to 48 hours while smoothing the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles.
Oil-free and fragrance-free.
Final Review: Roc Retinol Correxion Max Daily Hydration Anti-Aging Cream
- This cream is very hydrating. Perfect for dry skin.
- It contains holy grail ingredients: Retinol and Hyaluronic acid!
- Great price point!
Similar Retinol Face moisturizers for mature skin:
Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Max Moisturizer
Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 Facial Moisturizer is a highly whipped cream moisturizer that absorbs quickly and feels nice on the skin.
It’s not greasy at all.
It contains Vitamin B3 + Retinol complex, which can improve the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles, smoothness, brightness, firming, dark spots, and pores!
It’s Fragrance and dye-free and doesn’t contain parabens.
Olay has several noteworthy moisturizers for mature skin, which I will list below.
More Olay moisturizers for mature skin:
- Olay Regenerist Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Brightening Face Moisturizer
- Olay Regenerist Collagen Peptide 24 Face Moisturizer Cream with Niacinamide
Shop Olay Moisturizers for Mature Skin
Cliniques Clinique Smart Clinical Repair Wrinkle Correcting Cream
I am a huge Clinique fan and love the smart clinical line of Clinique products for mature skin.
This wrinkle cream contains Peptide Complex, which helps boost the skin’s natural collagen to help fortify the dermal structure, leaving the skin looking smoother.
I like the wrinkle cream better than the serum because it feels more emollient on my skin. (I use it at night)
Clinique Smart Clinical Repair Wrinkle Correcting Cream for Mature Skin
- Super emollient!
- It has improved my skin’s texture!
- I wish it was in a pump dispenser.
- Gotta love peptides!
Moisturizers from Clinique for mature skin :
- Clinique Smart Night Custom-repair Moisturizer
- Clinique Moisture Surge Intense Lipid-Replenishing Hydrator
- Clinique Smart Clinical Repair Wrinkle Correcting Serum
Shop Clinique Moisturizers for Mature Skin
First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Firming Collagen Cream
First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Firming Collagen Cream feels luxurious!
This moisturizer for mature skin contains collagen, peptides, and niacinamide, which helps firm skin with fewer visible fine lines and wrinkles and a soft, supple texture.
It’s dermatologist-tested, cruelty-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, paraben-free, soy-free, nano-free, and safe for sensitive skin!
The Best Collagen Cream for Mature Skin
- Packed with collagen, peptides, and niacinamide!
- Super hydrating and improves the skin’s texture.
- I love that it’s free of everything bad! 🙂
Similar Moisturizers for Women Over 60:
- L’Oreal Paris Skincare Collagen Face Moisturizer
- Olay Regenerist Collagen MAX + Peptide 24 Hydrating Face Moisturizer
- Caudalie Resveratrol-Lift Firming Cashmere Cream
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer is formulated with Prebiotic thermal water, Ceramide-3, Niacinamide & Glycerin.
It’s an Oil-free face moisturizer with SPF protection 30 to help protect & restore healthy-looking skin.
I like the lightweight feel of this moisturizer for mature skin, and the fact that it’s got an SPF of 30 is a bonus!
This is a great drugstore moisturizer for mature skin!
The Best Moisturizers for Women Over 60 With SPF :
- CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30
- Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Anti-Wrinkle Facial Moisturizer with SPF 30
- Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
The Best Face Sunscreen for Women Over 60
As I mentioned earlier, I want to clarify the importance of applying sunscreen daily after your morning skincare routine.
Applying Sunscreen daily is the best way to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Excessive exposure to the sun’s harmful rays can cause skin cancers and accelerate aging. The best rule of thumb is to apply it every day, even if you don’t plan on going outdoors.
EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Face Sunscreen, Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Face Sunscreen is perfect for mature and sensitive skin types.
This sunscreen is lightweight, sheer, and silky and contains key ingredients that promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
EltaMD UV Clear is dermatologist recommended for sensitive skin and is sheer, lightweight, and oil-free!
EltaMD Sunscreens are some of the best sunscreens on the planet and have several different SPF formulations available, including a fantastic tinted sunscreen!
The Best Broad Spectrum Sunscreens for Mature Skin:
- Murad Environmental Shield Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30
- ELEMIS Pro-Collagen Marine Cream SPF 30
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Face Sunscreen
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen- SPF 40
Shop The Best Sunscreens for Mature Skin
The Best Moisturizers for Mature Skin over 60, 70 + Beyond!
There you have it! The Best Moisturizers for Mature Skin over 60, 70 + Beyond!
Keeping skin well moisturized and protected, no matter what age bracket you fall in, is the best way to fight the signs of aging.
What moisturizer do you use?
I love to explore and review products of all kinds!
If you have any requests for product reviews, let me know in the comments below or reach out to me via email.
Thanks so much for stopping by!